Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Surrounded by Greatness

I spent the past few days at a private Housecon.  It was filled with fairly brilliant people - award-winning game designers, corporate writers, well-known writers from the RPG world, and even one of the stars of a Broadway show.  I don't mention this to namedrop - in fact, I'm not going mention any at all.  Being in that environment, with all those success stories, can be a little intimidating. Even a little depressing iff I let myself dwell on it for too long, but I didn't do that.  I chose to be something else - inspired. 

Nobody walked in and said to any of these people, 'Here's your dream job on a platter.  Enjoy.'  They went out after what they wanted and they earned it.  I need to keep that in mind when I wake up at 5am to write and just want to turn over and go back to bed.  I also need to challenge myself in different ways and to diversify.  A bunch of them learned how to play instruments and a garage band formed.  While they were nice enough to let me exercise my rusty (and extremely limited) guitar skills I feel the urge to be much more accomplished for the next one. I'm going to start doing editing work and I just applied to be a contest judge for an online lit magazine.  I don't know if any of these will work out but I'm going to try and be happy I did so.

Of course, ask me how pleased I am when I'm a chapter away from finishing my novel rewrite but can't get to it because of a combination of editing, reading stories under a deadline, and blistered fingertips..  Wheeeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment